♥♥ When two Cultures mixed (。◕‿◕。) Everything in my Page are only simple thing, but I did it with great love.

Lahana Sarması (Turkish stuffed cabbage)

Lahana means Cabbage. Sarması means 'Wrapping' in Turkey language. So you can imagine already by its name. We use rice mix with mince meat and some spices wrap in cabbage leaves which already wilted by boiled them in hot water. 
If you search Turkish cuisine, you will find other type of Sarması beside this cabbage Sarması . You can also see my other post like Yaprak Sarması which is rice and meat wrapped in vine leaves.
If you are not in Turkey or not yet experience any Turkish cuisine, maybe this one is a simple and great start for you to experience it... And with step by step picture how to make it, I hope you can make it easily.
Hope You'll like it.



Ingredients:
*      One whole medium size cabbage.
*       ±200 gr mince beef.
*      1 ½ cup rice. Wash and drain.
*      1 big size onion. Finely Chopped
*      Dried mint  ± 2 tsp
*      Sweet paprika powder  ± 2 tsp.
*      pepper powder ± ½ tsp
*      Enough salt to taste
*      ½ Cup Olive oil.
*      ± 2 Cup boiled water.
Method:
1) Cabbage, carefully remove each leaves and cook in boiling water just until wilted (about 15~20 minutes). Drain. Discard "leaves' bones" (hard part in the middle). I usually cut each leaves into two parts right in that middle. Set aside.
2) Heat olive oil, Stir fry the minced beef. Cook until it changes color. Stir in onions until fragrant. Mix in rice and other spices. Pour in 2 cups hot water, stir well and cover the pan. Low the heat and cook until rice absorbed all water. Turn off the fire.
3) Take one piece of cabbage leaves, place the stuffing on the edge of the leaves(figure 2) . Fold and roll (like figure 3 and 4). Do it until all stuffing mixture finish. Arrange neatly in a pan (figure 5), give such ballast (e.g ceramic plate). Pour hot water to cover all 'Sarma' submerged them (figure 6).

4) Cover the pan and cook over medium heat 30 ~ 45 minutes. Serve while warm with garlic yogurt sauce. and sprinkle with red pepper flake as optional delicious choice






loading...

5 comments:

  1. I think I am going to try this: we have a similar recipe in my town where we use savoy cabbage, no rice and cook the wraps in tomato sauce. This looks like a great alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Sarma! :) Your wrap is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Citra-I commented to you the last time as well, but have not heard from you. These stuffed cabbage rolls are very similar to the Hungarian ones, You did an outstanding job on it. Love the warm yogurt sauce to go with it. Excellent!
    Please stop by my blog, I would like to pass on an interesting "Game" as they call it, but to me it's either a Tag, or a Game Plan.
    I hope you don't mind I involved you in it:DDD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear sweet Citra-You are such a great sport, and I do appreciate you accepting this little challenge-Game Plan. Really, it's not difficult to come up with a menu for Easter, just a tradition, starting out with appetizers, and finishing with desserts. From 5-10 items, and linking it back to your post, for the actual recipe. Just post the pics!

    You are such a tremendous and amazing talented friend, and I would love to see a collage of your wonderful dishes. No specific recipes, just whatever appeals to you. Thank you for being such a good "sport" about it, Citra!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make these all the time for my husband who is Turkish.....I guess you could say he is Turkish in Canada...... thanks for posting your photos and sharing.
    I'm now a follower of yours. I'll be checking out some of your Turkish dishes.

    erica-sweetonyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Loving my blog? Please help me to share to your friends and tell to the world that my blog contents are valuable and interesting to visit. Subscribe or follow my Facebook, Tweeter, Pinterest or my instagram

My License

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License. www.myhomediaryinturkey.blogspot.com

Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected